[IP] RE: basal vs. carb ratio change

>My son is experiencing slight highs (200 - 250) at lunchtime and
>I'm wondering
>whether to change his breakfast carb/insulin ratio (currently 15:1) or to
>increase the basal rate during the morning hours.  What has worked best for
>you guys?  We're very new to pumping and I think changing the basal rate is
>the answer.

I would skip breakfast in order to determine where the problem is.  If
pre-lunch bGs are normal after skipping breakfast then an adjustment to the
breakfast bolus is needed.  If pre-lunch bGs are still high after skipping
breakfast then adjust the basal rate.

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MM 507 - 1998