RE: [IP] Re: when did you have "full" responsiblity for your diabetes?

Wow!! This is depressing. So this is what I have to look forward to for my
son with D. Looking back on your life, what advice or talk could I give my
son so he doesn't feel this way. Is it this ways for most adults that were
dx as a child?

Theresa
son of Jordan 5yr old. with D.

A *general* observation from this topic re-visited over the past years on
this list:

- DM makes kids grow up fast and makes them more responsible than otherwise
and:
- many of us carry this feeling of "ultra-responsiblity" into our adult
lives
- many of us grow up feeling defective and a burden on our parents and
society
- many of us as adults keep trying to prove our value to society or our
families
- some of us have avoided aspects of life such as kids or relationships
because we feel "unfit" to breed or "unfit" to be a partner
- many of us appear to remember becoming a social and family outcast (in
subtle ways) due to our defectiveness
- many of us end up with severe depression which and we still don't know
whether it's physically or psycologically related to D or both.  One thing
for sure; my 8 years of following diabetics on teh net has shown beyond a
reasonable doubt that most long term DMers (those diag as kids) develop
depression as adults.  I just wonder what the exact connection is.

Just some thoughts on the "other complications" per above.

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!