[IP] Was Re: Now is: Competitive Sports and the Pump

I have competed in some amateur golf tournaments with my pump.  No problems
so far (knock on wood). I take several precautions before playing, such as
making sure there is enough insulin in the pump, wearing a sticky tape
called Elastoplast to secure my infusion site, and making sure I have all of
my supplies with me (extra infusion sets, test strips, tape, pump resevoirs,
glucose tablets, batteries, etc...) in case of a problem. I test my BS
before I start playing, test again between the 9th and 10th holes, and test
again once the round is over.

I also play baseball.  For this, my pump is only worn when I am in the
dugout. I eliminate most chances of my pump being broken. I check the time
before I go into the field (between each inning), then check it again once I
am back in the dugout. I bolus for the amount of insulin I missed while in
the field.

To this date (on the pump), I have only had 1 low while playing, and that
was on the golf course.

On shots, I would have 3 - 4 lows a month competing along with many highs.
I have noticed that I can focus and play the game better now.

Guess that is because I do not worry as much about being to low or to high.
Overall, I feel 100% better now than my pre-pump days.

If you would like to discuss this further, email me off list.

Andy J.