[IP] uncoperative school

Cory began pumping on Tuesday.  The school nurse did not want him to return
until next Tuesday, but his CDE and pump trainer said to send him back the
next day.  He is to test b/s midmorning, lunch and midafternoon for awhile.
Currently, I am meeting him at lunch time to make sure the bolus is done
properly.  For the other 2 tests the school is to call me with results.  This
has already become a big issue.  He had been testing in classroom.  There are
pagers in every room.  My request is for Cory to test and then for the
teacher to call the office with a report.  Then the office can call me.
Today, I waited 20 minutes for someone to call. Finally, I called the school.
 Guess what?  The test had not been done!  Then they made Cory go to the
clinic to do it.  The nurse said it will interrupt the class too much for the
teacher to page the office.  The school also has orders to "remind"  Cory to
test should he forget.  We are going to put new batteries in his multiple
alarm watch and then he can remind himself.  Next they'll probably complain
about the alarm!
Another issue is the doctor's orders.  They want all medical guidelines on
one sheet of paper.  They want clear guidelines on when to test and what
action to take.  Doesn't matter - they won't follow instructions!  They will
not administer any injection if one becomes necessary.  Thankfully, Cory can
do his own insulin injection if the pump should fail.  However, his endo and
I would want him to be supervised while doing so.  Additionally, I would want
an emergency phone call.  Glucagon will not be administered either.  Now the
school wants Cory to be completley responsible for his own care.  It just
seems like they always take the opposite stand.  When I wanted him to be more
independent they refused to allow it without a long drawn out battle.  He
could not carry emergency sugar, his bathroom trips were timed, he had to go
to the clinic to test b/s, etc.  I fought to get this all changed.  This year
those issues were resolved.  Now that he has the pump, and it is all new, he
is doing extra checks and we want to make sure they are not forgotten.  Also
we have asked that when treating hypoglycemia, the staff makes sure he fully
recovers before he continues activity.  He also has to check for ketones
anytime b/s is above 200.  These are endo's rules.  Apparently, this is just
too disruptive for the school.  Honestly, I am going to push long and hard to
have Cory's needs met.
Trying to hang on,