[IP] Re: When did you have "full" responsibility for your diabetes?

I was diagnosed at age 10, in 1981, and from the start gave myself
injections (2x a day), carb counted, and tested urine, and later glucose.
Kept all records too. My mom, though, was my right hand through it all.
She carb counted with me, estimated carbs in old family recipes, and
monitored my numbers. She also packed all supplies when we went away, and
made sure I had glucose with me away from home. My Dad could do all these
things, but was somewhat removed from it. He hates discussing anything
medical, whereas my Mom always wanted to be a nurse. The only time I was
given shots was when I was too sick to do it myself. I really dislike
others injecting me.

When I got to college, I think my Mom suffered withdrawal from not having
me/diabetes around to control, and her (dysfunctional) response was to
not discuss the disease at all. This was really difficult for me, as I
had no one, all of a sudden, to bounce ideas off of, and my control got
worse. My older sister stepped in and helped some with this. I think one
reason I got married so fast after college (3 weeks) was to have the
security of another person around to help me deal with it. I'll never
forget the look of relief on my dad's face when he gave me all my health
insurance info right before I got married. It was the first time I really
realized how much the whole thing had weighed on him.

Now, the lack of communication about my disease continues. It's like, out
of sight, out of mind. No one in my family now likes to talk about it. I
tried to show my parents my pump, and how it worked, and my Dad squirmed
in his chair. They have requested that I go into the bathroom to test, or
have injections (now site changes) there b/c they accused me of doing it
in front of them to get attention! And if I go low, I am ignored until I
get something and feel better. My siblings (6 in all) also ignore it,
although 3 are in the medical field! With my pregnancy, it's as if there
is no recognition of the high-risks or extra work I need to do. At my
baby shower there was regular punch. When I asked if it was sugar-free,
they looked shocked. I laughed to myself. I pray to God that none of my
19 nieces or nephews become diabetic, but I don't doubt at least one of
my siblings will get Type II. That should be interesting.

Sorry for the long post/rant. It did help me think things out,
though...BTW, I think the parents on here do a great job.