Re: [IP] basal vs. carb ratio change

>My son is experiencing slight highs (200 - 250) at lunchtime and I'm wondering
>whether to change his breakfast carb/insulin ratio (currently 15:1) or to
>increase the basal rate during the morning hours.  What has worked best for
>you guys?  We're very new to pumping and I think changing the basal rate is
>the answer.

Something needs adjusting.  The only way you will know which to adjust for
is to do a fasting basal in the am.  Pardon me if you already know this.
But, ck the bg upon waking and have him fast until noon or until his tests
go way up.  This has ot be done without any extraneous factors like stress
or exercise.  A TV morning I guess.

If the bg's go up on their own he needs more basal.  If not; it's the carb
ratio or a dietary error at breakfast or even stress at school.  I have
encountered a lot of food packaging with misleading carb numbers or just
plain wrong carbs on it.  This could be the problem as well if he's been
eating the same breakfast lately.

IMHO your guess is right:  Expect to change the basal.  remember:  Change
the basl by thenths of a unit and retest the fasting bg's another day  AND
the increase in basal must be made in the hour prior to his bg's starting
to go up and end in the hour prior to them starting to level out.

ie:  if his bg goes up for the two hours from 9:00am to 11:00am; then
increase basal for the two hours starting at 8:00am and ending at 10:00am.

Remember:  YMMV!!!

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
of MDI!  (To date:  47% improvement in average bg's and 90% fewer hypos)!