[IP] HbA1c levels

In a message dated 1/17/01 6:37:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Each 1% increase in HbA1c above 5%was associated with a 28% increase in
 risk of death (P<.002) independent of age, blood pressure, serum
 cholesterol, BMI, and smoking.
 In a prospective population study, HbA1c levels "significantly predicted
 mortality, with increasing risk throughout the whole range of
 concentrations, even below the threshold commonly accepted for diagnosis
 of diabetes." Researchers evaluated the relation between HbA1c, diabetes,
 and subsequent mortality among 4,662 men (age, 45-79 years) enrolled in
 the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition.  For
 Study go to: www.diabetesincontrol.com/issue35/item1.htm >>
    I was all set to post what I feel was good news for me. I had a 6.1 HbA1c
this week and I have gone from 6.7 to 6.3 to 6.1 in three tests in the 9
months of pumping. I am a (the glass is 1/2 full) type of guy. I understand
the idea of keeping tight control, but I know in my life I must have a chance
to enjoy the ride along the way. Roger C puck in tow