[IP] Re: Touring Europe

Hi, Jan.

At 12:46 1/17/2001 -0800, you wrote:

>...My son will be touring Europe in July with a state-wide honor band
>(from Oregon), seven countries in 16 days! HELP!! I need everybody's
>suggestions for how to be prepared for this trip.

I'm an American living in the France part of Europe and I've traveled
extensively. Your son needs to bring all the diabetes supplies he'll need.
That means insulin, infusion sets, reservoirs, batteries for the pump,
adhesive dressings, and glucose test strips. Alcohol swabs can also come in
handy and they can be very difficult to find here. It'd be best to change
the glucose meter batteries before he leaves.

Yes, all that stuff's available here, but the names and prescription
requirements differ from country to country. Better to avoid an emergency
than contend with one under such circumstances. He'll also need to take
syringes or an insulin pen if his pump conks out. Don't count on overnight
service for pumps everywhere in Europe. (In France, there's no such thing.)

I'd also recommend a sugar supply, especially fruit juice in small metal
cans (not sold anywhere here) that are very handy to treat occasional night
reactions and candy bars. Most small European hotels do NOT have candy
and/or soda machines.

Customs should NOT be a problem. It would be a good idea to have some form
of medical ID (such as a Medic-Alert) that states that your son is
diabetic. If asked by a customs agent if he's carrying any medicine, he
should show the ID and explain that he's diabetic, insulin-dependent, and
takes insulin by injection and via a pump. Just state it -- that's all.

regards, Andy