Re: [IP] When did you have "full" responsibility for your diabetes?

>I am probably misinterpreting what I hear from parents about the things
>that they are still doing to "control" their teenagers diabetes....
>Other than being provided the things that I needed including doctors, I had
>full responsibility before I was 17....
>For those of us with diabetes, at what age did you have responsibility for
>the diabetes?
>For the parents, at what age (of your kids) did you turn over
>responsibility for the diabetes?

I was given full responsiblity at age 9 when diag.  My mother did change
her cooking and baking to accomadate hte diabetes but I was still in charge
of the daily mgt.

It's important to note that pump management and carb counting - even on MDi
requires much more cognitive effort than DM did 27 years ago.  My DM
consisted of one injection per day of R & L, following a rough meal plan,
log book keeping and urine testing four times a day.  Not much for any kid
to manage at all.

Another important difference between then and now is that "control" simply
meant staying out of DKA and that was that.  Not too hard to do at all!

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
of MDI!  (To date:  46% improvement in average bg's and 90% fewer hypos + a
normal range 14 day average bg for the first time in my life)!