[IP] Re: What age responsiblity for my DM

Jim S. wrote:
> For those of us with diabetes, at what age did you have responsibility for
the diabetes? For the parents, at what age (of your kids) did you turn over
responsibility for the diabetes?>

My hugsband says it's okay to have a tiger by the tail - if you know what to
do when you let go. (~_^) As most of you have figured, I am a different
*sort*. Mom was guilt-ridden and kept control of me. The advice I got often
was to get dressed to feel better. I wasn't allowed to shave my black-hairy
legs in case I'd cut myself, get an infection and die (snuck to it anyway),
and everything was done for me - ONE shot a day, no restrictions on meals,
etc. You see, since I was dying, I might as well enjoy life. A friend *made*
me learn to give myself a shot when I was 16 so I could spend the night. I
did - once.  Another friend I'd stay with would ride her bike home w/me and
Mom would *shoot* me, we'd ride back to her house and have breakfast. When I
was 18 Mom ran an umbrella rib up her thumb and was in a cast. I HAD to do it
and kept it up. I always felt she was relieved when I married since when I'd
die it wouldn't be under HER roof.

MY ADVICE (unsolicited): Your *kids* are NOT dying! Let them live but give
them the best tools available. Parenting is mostly trials and errors. These
years are the kids' memories of their childhoods. When they're my age, how
will they describe their parents? My mom is out of my life due to that guilt
she carries as well as bitterness and unforgiveness. Sad. Sad. Sad. I sooooo
much needed hugs and an *I love you* everyday she walked out of my life to go
to work before I was released to go back to school after diagnosis. Didn't
happen. My father walked out of my life when I was 6 mos. old. He now says he
loves me but will talk to me very little - if at all - since I take everything
wrong. He says he doesn't need my forgiveness since the Lord forgave him.

I'm sorry, I know Jim's Q wasn't a request for a vent. I think the *tiger* in
me is what has kept me going. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

http://maxpages.com/bludasue now with a BASH pic site URL in the 6th
paragraph.  Romans 1:16