[IP] Re: When did you have "full" responsibility for your diabetes? - longish

>Other than being provided the things that I needed including doctors, I had
>full responsibility before I was 17....
>For those of us with diabetes, at what age did you have responsibility for
>the diabetes?

Well, I will answer on behalf of my husband Shane. Like you Jim, he had
full responsibility way before he hit 17 (other than being provided with
supplies and doctors, etc). He was diagnosed about age 4. By age 5 or 6
he was doing everything associated with the shots. His parents didn't
like giving them and thought he should learn to do it himself ASAP. He
did tests and shots in the nurse's office at school but he was in charge
of keeping enough supplies there, and in charge of taking supplies with
him when they went on trips or out to dinner.

Also by about age 7 he was pretty much in charge of figuring out how
much insulin to take for meals and corrections. His mother just never
seemed to catch on to the whole idea of carb counting or insulin and
which did what to the blood sugar. After the incident where she gave him
scrambled eggs, ham, and green beans for supper and made him take over 5
units of insulin, causing him to pass out, she never again directed how
much insulin to take. To this day he is afraid that if he was to pass
out from a low, she would give him insulin instead of glucagon.

His mother pestered him about doing blood sugars (once meters were
available). She probably pestered him about it all the way through high
school, but once he hit about age 12 it was really up to him about
whether he really did them or not because he was very good at making up
numbers and she never really knew if he did the tests or not.

Shane is appalled when he hears about kids who are 10 years old who
don't do their own shots or set changes. Now, while I am not blaming his
parents, I am not sure that all this responsibility at such an early age
was necessarily a good thing. For one thing, Shane didn't like lows, so
he ran high on purpose for many, many years. If his parents had been
more involved, they might have noticed and been able to help him to not
run so high and he MIGHT have better eyesight today. I don't think a 7
year old is really capable of fully understanding and appreciating the
long term consequences of running high. I am not sure if his mother
really couldn't understand the complexities of insulin and carbs, or if
she just didn't want to, or if she didn't understand how important it
was. I don't know why his father wasn't more involved, because I know
that he is intelligent enough to understand.
I think it is wonderful that there are so many parents on this list
actively involved with their children's' diabetes. I hope that they are
having good luck teaching them how to be responsible for themselves
without allowing them too much freedom to hurt themselves!