Re: [IP] Touring Europe

  I'm 21, and not too far removed from teenage hood myself.  I studied in
Ireland two years ago at the age of nineteen and travelled Europe (six
countries in two weeks) after the semester was done.  I also went to France
two years before that with my high school French club.  Some pieces of
advice...I know parents worry (believe me, if you want my parents' email, I
am sure they can inform you on this better than I can!) but Kyle is probably
going to be more familiar with his needs and medications than anyone on the
trip could ever hope to be!!  Europe is perfectly possible, and even easier
with a pump.  (I did France on MDI and Europe on the pump)  When I went, I
travelled with my best friend in Europe.  If Kyle has a trusted friend going
on the trip, this could help a lot.  Someone who knows hypoglycemia, etc.
Make sure to get a note from your doctor stating Kyle has Type I diabetes
and listing the supplies he needs to carry with him.  (I never had a problem
at customs, but this letter can clear things up if a problem does arise)
There are also centers in Europe that one can call in medical emergencies.
I can't remember where I found these, but I can get back to you on that.  I
would recommend switching to European time for the pump once over
there...but that is what worked for me, and may not for him.  Talk to your
doctor.  The only problems I had in Europe were hypoglycemia a couple of
times as my body got used to the new schedule.  Make sure to bring extra
supplies and always carry these with you!!  (IN a carry-on bag, not in your
luggage)  I found it was relieving to  me to hand a bottle of insulin and
some syringes to my friend when travelling...just in case I somehow
misplaced my bag, I knew she had some that I could grab. In this case, make
sure the friend is ok with this.  And don't do it when going through
customs.  Just when travelling within a city or something.   Have fun and
relax!!  It will be great!!