[IP] Re: Precision Xtra

The last time I saw my CDE she showed (and later gave)
me a Precision Xtra meter because of its ability to
check for ketones like a blood glucose test.  She felt
this feature was very beneficial to me since I am
often checking for ketones.

In addition to the ketone checks, I liked the fact
that it has a larger memory of tests (450 to be exact)
than my current meter, the FastTake.  This meter also
allows downloading of information for those of you who
prefer this capability.  The downside(s) to this pump
(at least for me) was that it is slightly bigger and
heavier than the FastTake and it takes slightly longer
(approximately 20 seconds for glucose tests and 30
seconds for ketone tests).

However, anyone considering using this meter must know
one thing: if you are using it only for the ketone
tests, it really isn't worth it if you test often.  It
might be worth it if you use it when you are sick, but
not if you need/intend to do a lot of ketone tests.

Why do I say it isn't worth it?  Well, you only get 4,
yes count them, FOUR ketone test strips for every 100
glucose test strips you buy.  When I saw that, I
thought they MUST sell boxes of ketone strips, right?
Well, they do.  But here's the catch: you can't get
those strips from a pharmacy/other drug store.

Instead, you need to call the company and order it
directly from them.  That doesn't sound too bad,
right?  Just call them, order them and you are done.
Hmph!  (You haven't heard the catch yet.)  You see,
they sell boxes of strips for $32 plus an additional
$7 for shipping.  Now, here's the "kicker": that $40
you spend only buys you 8, yes EIGHT, strips!!!  Worse
yet, the person who I talked to said they aren't
currently working with insurance companies and
therefore you had to pay for the strips out-of-pocket
and try to get a reimbursement for your purchase on
your own!  >:-(

For those of you who are still interested, the ketone
strips are purple (my favorite color and the best part
about them!) rather than the green that is found on
the glucose strips.  The test is preformed the same
way as a normal glucose test is done, however, the
result is displayed in mmol/l instead of mg/dL.  (Both
mmol/l and mg/dL can be used for glucose tests.)

According to the manual, negative is 0.0 mmol/l, low
(apparently represents trace/small readings) is 0.1 to
0.5 mmol/l, mid (represents medium or moderate) is 1.3
to 2.3 mmol/l and high (represents large) is from 2.7
to 4.7 mmol/l.  I'm still trying to figure out why
they have gaps in the numbers (example - 0.5 mmol/l is
low then 1.3 mmol/l is mid).  The maximum level of
ketones this meter shows is 6.0 mmol/l.

Hope this info helps!

Pump hugs,

Melissa Collins