[IP] Large Hospital Meters

Our hospital uses LifeScan products that DO come in a large case and the
meter IS big, but this is because it down loads all of the BS values to the
computer for patient care and documentation--not to mention billing.  Also
due to legalities, our hospital has a policy to use this METER ONLY for
BS's not the patients because of the quality control issue. Being a RN I
understand this but it is frustrating for the patient.  What I do is have
the patient get their meter ready and use them both. This way the patient
can also check the values of their meter.  The QC on the hospitals meters
are mandated to be done every 8 hours.  This is a federal laboratory law.
It is a safety check for all involved.