Re: [IP] Camp wouldn't allow son to go/Life Insurance

>My mother is an insurance agent who cannot find me a life insurance policy.
>It has something to do with a standard for Type 1's...if a person was
>diagnosed before the age of 17, then they are considered higher risk/shorter
>lifespan than a non-diabetic of the same age.  I was 11 when diagnosed and am
>now 29 (YIKES---30 is just around the corner!)  Nevermind the fact that
>because of this diagnosis, I am very healthy!  And probably healthier than a
>counterpart of my same age, ht., wt., without diabetes.   There are some
>higher risk policies that have sent her information and I will have a life
>insurance policy soon.  But she could not get me a policy throught her
>primary company because of this 'unwritten rule' than most companies follow.
>Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD

A few years ago I deperately needed credit lines personally and to keep a
business afloat.  I could have gotten a lot more credit if i were not Type
I.  Banks cannot get insurers to cover loans for Type I's (in canada) if
they have been diabetic for more than 7 years, I believe I was told.

Life insurance, like the market is legalized gambling.  Life insurance
requirements are based on stats.  Fair enough BUT these stats are *based on
life expectatancy for diabetics whom have already died of diabetes*.  This
means that in most cases these people were diag in the 1930-1950's and we
all know that up to the mid 1980's there was little that could be done for
us except for one injection per day and urine testing.  No wonder most of
these people died young!

Needless to say I believe the life expectancy stats for type I's will
dramatically improve and insurers will eventually cover us with little
additional presmiums.  Unfortunately this will be another 40 years until
the current generation of diabetics die at a ripe old age and proves we
will live almost as long as non-diabetics.

What is needed for life coverage with us is government legislation forcing
insurers to use stats for diabetic health and life expectancy based on
people diag after 1970.  I think this would show that about 80% of us in
this range are still alive and not yet completely disabled.  31 years to
pay up a whole life policy isn't too bad!

(My stats are based on the internal workings of my head and IME and not on
any offcial authority).

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
of MDI!  (To date:  46% improvement in average bg's and 90% fewer hypos + a
normal range 14 day average bg for the first time in my life)!