a thought:
Perhaps this could be happening because when she sucks on the lolly, she
inevitably swallows air and it might distend the stomach just that much
more.  You know----the straw that broke the camel's back!  I have stomach
issues, and when I am ill I cannot use a straw!

Also, a slow trickle of "food" down the throat with all that swallowing,
probably starts up a huge acid release in anticipation of the meal that
seems like it might be arriving any minute now.

Good luck!
Charisma :)