[IP] Re: Digest #XXX OR Subject line in e-mails

I should have been more specific. What I am looking for here is specific
detailed advice on  precisely what the subject line must contain so that the
list server software  recognizes a reply as a response to an existing
thread. I would like to be able to  read the database in thread order but at
this time most of the threads are broken into so may small independent piece
that is not really useful.

I read the list either from the digest or the web page so it is not possible
for my mail software (Outlook Express) to create the proper subject line.

As far as I can tell a message on the list will have a subject line in
either of two formats:

Format Example #1:   [IP] Subject_Line
Format Example #2:   Re: [IP] Subject_Line

In order for the server to continue the thread what exactly should the
subject line of a reply to Format Example #1 look like?

a.    Subject_Line
b.    [IP] Subject_Line
c.    Re: Subject_Line
d.    Re: [IP] Subject_Line

And the same question for Format Example #2

a.    Subject_Line
b.    [IP] Subject_Line
c.    Re: Subject_Line
d.    Re: [IP] Subject_Line