Re: [IP] Poor Erica :( Am I setting her up for Ketones?

>So in Erica's case.
>Low Blood Sugars = Vomiting?
>Vomiting from a virus = Low Blood sugars?
>Now, isn't that a little out of the ordinary? I realize that you can't draw a
>conclusion from such a small amount of data, but it is perplexing.

Sorry your day is not going well.  As you know I've had every type of
cold/flu virus and some bacteria infections in my 27 years as diabetic.  I
have also kept up with teh diabetes groups on the net since 1994 and I have
never heard of these sypmtoms as a sign of DKA nor pump problems etc as
long as the bg's are in check.

NOte:  A virus does not always raise the imune system and bg's until
several days after the viral sypmtoms set in.  I have experieced Erica's
sypmtoms on MDI and the higher bg's form the virus didn't show up until the
third day of nausea and fever.

This sounds more like food poisoning or another bacteria problem like

I wish you luck and you know my thoughts are with you.  But yes, low bg's
when taking the usual amt of insulin are common for the first days of a bad

Best wishes and tell Erica I'm thinking of her.

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
of MDI!  (To date:  43% improvement in average bg's and 90% fewer hypos)!