Re: [IP] Re:glucose testing at school

HI.  My son is 9 and in the third grade.  We have already run the gamut when
it cme to how Josh's diabetes is dealt with at school.  In first grade they
INSISTED that he walk the distance to the office to test at lunch then they
would hold him or lunch if his BG wan't just right.  This was infuriating.
So I requested that Josh be allowed to test in the classroom.  OK with
teacher.  They held a meeting without telling me or inviting me, to discuss
my request and it was decided they would 'allow' him to try this.  Meanwhile
I researched it and discovered that our state (WA) and recently passed new
State Guidelines for the Care of Diabetic Children in Public Schools.  The
RNs knew about these but failed to inform ANYONE.  Testing in the classroom
was going GREAT until the principal decided HE wasn't comfrotable with it and
decided to stop it.  I had a face-off with him where I showed him the new
regs and after much to-do he has backed down.  If the school nurses had
informed him and the school board about the new regs none of this would have

   So I guess we are lucky because we DO have state regs involving my sons
care in his school.

mom to Joshua