Re: [IP] Re: e coli

Through the marvels of genetic engineering, the e. Coli bacteria that is
naturally in our GI tracts is the critter that makes our insulin.

>From what I remember (from a report I did some 13 years ago High School,) the
scientists splice a human insulin-producing gene into the little critter and
instead of producing the harmful toxin that can make us sick (it's the waste
product of e. Coli that makes us sick, not the actually bacteria being
there,) it makes insulin.

That why I said in a previous that I love that little guy e. Coli!

Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD
Cleveland, Ohio
DM for 18+ years and pumping for 6+ years.

In a message dated 01/11/2001 03:56:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Not only that but according to the package insert, the e coli
 from which the insulin is derived is nonpathogenic, meaning they
 don't cause illness.

 Mario said:
 E Coli is a bacteria(?) that everybody has in their digestive
 tract.  It serves a useful purpose, as long as it is confined to
 the digestive tract.