[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #781

In a message dated 01/11/2001 5:01:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> If the tissue becomes traumatized for any reason, the site may stop
> working. This can be mechanical due to a blow or movement, bad luck
> during insertion, hitting a capillary, bacterial contamination
> during insertion, .... use your imagination. It just happens
> sometimes. If it is a persistant problem over and over, then start to
> suspect bacterial contamination, sensitivity to the insulin, the
> catheter itself, or prep materials -- any of these can shorten site

We have been having a lot of trouble lately with my daughter's sites going
bad in 1 or 2 days. She uses the soft serter  and we are waiting for some
micro's to arrive to see if this solves the prob. She is pretty thin and has
gotten thinner since starting the pump last spring so we thought the shorter
tubes might work better on her. Any thoughts?  at this time she is not
agreeable to the silhouette so we thought we would try the micros before
fighting with her to try the silhouettes. She is 11 1/2, hormonal (!) and
only uses her stomach for sites (which could also be her prob.) Also, she is
pumping with Humolog.
I would love to hear some opinions or suggestions.  Thanks, Laurie