Re: [IP] sites not absorbing

> We had what I think was our first site problem on Tuesday.  Blood
> sugars rising, ketones, correction boluses not helping, etc.  I
> finally gave Nora an injection of H which worked like a charm.  We
> changed her site, and all was well.  My question:  what, if
> anything, happens to the insulin that went into that non-absorbing
> site?  Could it be released later, possibly causing a low?

"usually" not -- if the site is corrupted, the immune system pretty
much destroys everything there -- but not always, YMMV
> In the back of my mind, I keep thinking that a 6 year old can't
> possibly be running into non-absorbing sites due to scar tissue yet,
> but I guess there can be other reasons why a site that's been in
> only 12 to 14 hours would stop working (?)  Any thoughts?
If the tissue becomes traumatized for any reason, the site may stop
working. This can be mechanical due to a blow or movement, bad luck
during insertion, hitting a capillary, bacterial contanimation
during insertion, .... use your imagination. It just happens
sometimes. If it is a persistant problem over and over, then start to
suspect bacterial contamination, sensitivity to the insulin, the
catheter itself, or prep materials -- any of these can shorten site
life and are pretty common things for some new pumpers to deal with
until they "know the ropes".