[IP] Re: Blood donating redux

> If you're interested in donating, find out
whether there are
> regulations in your state barring diabetics
from donating. If
> not, look for a blood bank that accepts
donations from diabetics.
> For example, in California, Blood Centers of
the Pacific will
> accept blood donations from diabetics.

We don't have quite the population in Nevada
(yet) as there is in Cal.  Our options are

> This screening should eliminate
> any diabetic who really isn't healthy enough
to donate safely --
> or one who is on medications that would keep
the blood from being
> safe to use.

Dm'ers should be limited by the same parameters
as 'normal' people.

> but when I hear people with
> diabetes talking about how much they want to
be allowed to give
> blood, it makes me feel really hopeful about

Most people that have received, or may need,
help will be more likely to help others.  Former
addicts will help others through AA, people who
were once poor, will be more likely financially
to help others, etc.  Diabetics should be more
sensitve to need.  In addition, for me, when I'm
told that I can't do something because I'm dm,
it makes me want to do it even more, and without
sneaking by and saying that I'm not a diabetic.
Jack Granowski
email @ redacted
dx 10/66, D pump 7/93, Hb A1c 5.9
This country has come to feel the same when
Congress is
in session as when a baby gets hold of a hammer.

 - Will Rogers