[IP] Mixing BR with H

I would like some info regarding mixing Humalog with V or R in order to
prolong the site. My daughter lasts about 36 hours on one site, after that
her bgs go up. I have read that mixing insulins can help with this problem.
When I ask our CDE about it she said she'd never heard about this and that it
doesn't sound logical. Is there anyone out there who could give me a logical
explanation so I can forward it to our CDE? Our CDE is willing to "try
anything once" but I'm not so sure about the doctor...All I've heard so far
is that it has something to do with "Humalog sensitivity"!!???

Can't give you a logical explanation but some people are hypersensitive to
Humulog. It is not really Human insulin but a bastard protein with the B
chain having Proline and Lysine flipped in thier position leading to the
rapid action. Occasionally redness develops at the infusion site and the
site deteriorates after a few days. By mixing 1 part of Buffered regular
with four parts of Humulog this reaction is minimized. Note I do not
recommend leaving sites in for more than 72 hours. DKA is a dangerous and
hazardous complication of pump therapy. change sites frequently. Iv;e done
it it works just be careful. Spot
A Bender, M. D.