Re: [IP] insulin tyoes

On 10 Jan 2001, at 23:44, A. Bender, M. D. wrote:

> Could someone refresh my memory? I have forgotten which insulins were
> derived from what sources. In the mid 60's I used NPH and REGULAR. Most of
> the 70's, 80's and early 90's it was LENTE and REGULAR. Then Humulin Type L
> and Type R during the late 90's and now HUMALOG. The Humulin and Humalog are
> obviously no concern but were did the NPH, LENTE and REGULAR derive from?

My Lente and Regular were both humulin.

I'll tell ya, it shocked the <something or other> out of me when I
read the package inserts and saw that they were derived from
genetically altered e. coli!!!!!!!

All I'd ever known about e.coli was the Jack-in-the-box debacle and
that at one point my UTI was blamed on e.coli (which also scared
me half to death).  Ignorance can either be bliss, or terribly