[IP] doctors who know from pumps, a modern look for a needle in a heystack

Hi....everyone its Krysta here, I start pumping soon and Im kinda nervous
because the dct. I go to now has no clue about the pump. So Ive decided to
get another dct. But I feel kinda bad cause she is the one who got me the
pump. But at the same time she is not really there when I need her. I guess I
feel a sence of loyalty or something,or maybe I need to get over myself and
call it good. With all the probs Ive had sence becoming diabetic Im
apprehensive to be at the hands of a dct who knows nothing about the pump. I
live in the sticks of Humboldt Co. The dcts are just to far behind the rest
of CA. Dont get me wrong not all are but the ones Ive managed to be seen by.
SOOO Im on the great dct hunt LOL I know of one right now so Im going to give
him a try first. ( Ive had major bad dealings with male dcts up here ) I know
that sounds terrible but oooh so very true. OH well out with the old in with
the new hey
TTYL Krysta
- ----------------------------------------------------------end of original
Oh well, as they say in my old neighborhood, what else is news. Most
doctors don't know dididdly about pumps. One fairly bright
gastroenterologist asked me how does my pump know how much insulin to give
for a meal , I pointed to my head and said "This", not getting the picture
he wanted to see the insulin infusion set and " glucose sensor" I said The
infusion set is in my "A$$" and there is no sensor. I test, figure the dose
and give a bolus based on my insulin sensitivity, basal insulin
requirements and  the current phase of the moon. as well as what I ate this
time of the day. Do you think the average doctor knows as much about your
diabetes as you do, I doubt it. You will have to manage your own pump the
same way you manage your own diabetes, it is not any different. who manages
your diabetes these days when you get a fever or other illness. my doctors
are great but i don't ask them to manage my sick days because they are my
sick days and management is individualized. Look for a doctor who evinces a
real interest in you as a person and not as a case. Someone you can talk to
and confide in. Not someone who is judgmental and talks down to you. Kind
and compassionate doctors are still being turned out but it takes
persistence to find them. An endo may not be the answer, a GP or internist
who you hit it off with may be as good as the best area endo if he cares
about you. endos might be interested in pituitary disorders, thyroid
disease or gonadal dysfunction. finding an endo who is interested in
diabetes is hard. Type 1 diabetics often need close supervision and
monitoring. Insurers often want to avoid that expense. I went to a
professor diabetes doc at first then went to one who was less credentialed
and found him more to my liking. Look hard and far. The attitude means more
than the credentials. Most of us here can help you with pump problems but
you must ask. A doctor need not know the latest and greatest facts about
diabetes, just express a willingness to learn about your diabetes.  Spot
A Bender, M. D.