On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, email @ redacted wrote:

> Okay I gotta ask...about this 'left-handed' sugar stuff.  What does it mean
> when the sugar is 'left-handed'?  And is there 'right'handed'?

There are different directions in which some of the molecules twist in
biological systems.  Most common in natural biological systems is left or
alpha -- hence DNA is an alpha helix, that is it coils to the left, or
counter clockwise.  If it coiled to the right, or clockwise, it would be a
beta helix.  If I had to guess, if sucrose has a twist, then if a molecule
twisted in the opposite direction, it would have a different effect on the
tissue it encountered.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted

The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily represent those of