[IP] Weight gain ;-<

In a message dated 01/09/2001 09:21:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< >     Have any other Type I diabetics had real problems
>  controlling their weight?  I am at my wits end..  >>

The old "lean Insulin dependent diabetic" was probably a diabetic with BGs
that were too high. They were probably not absorbing what they ate.

The better a T1's control, the more likely it is that they will gain weight.
Especially when they are not on the pump. If you are not on the pump, but
keeping your blood sugars well within the normal level, you will drop low
very fast and have to eat more. You end up eating to keep up with the insulin.

Once you go on the pump, you will still gain while adjusting your basals.
And, there is the temptation to eat all the things you were denying yourself,
because you can bolus for them.

Once you get over all that and are using the pump with the correct basals,
you can eat a healthy diet that is appropriate for your age and body type.

If your are exercising and not overeating, your weight will adjust itself.
You are more like a normal person than before.