[IP] Memory

SNIP>>>>>Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:44:29 -0500
From: "dennis & carol teal" <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] mental decline

I never know to blame my brain fogs on my menopause, thyroid or my insulin.
I have complained to my endo about my brain fades for the last two visits-
he tells me to take it up with my family physician or my gyno-I in turn get
disgusted and don't follow through because I'm sure my gyno will refer me to
my endo and my family physician will refer me to lord knows who! The world
seems way to crazy for me anymore. However I feel my problem is
worsening-I'm quite often finding myself calling my family members by my
siblings names and I don't even know I said it ( this scares the bejeebies
out of my son-poor kid) and also there are many many times when someone will
give me something or I them and don't remember it. I bothers me to the point
where now if I try to hold a conversatino with someone I almost stutter
because I'm so unsure of my brain. When I mention if to my friends they
laugh and say whats wrong with that?  What do you think?  Is there a way to
check this out, I really would like to know.  Thanks Again  Carol

I don't know how old you are, but age and stress will certainly affect your
memory.    My brother has Alzheimers and we were told there are some basic
tests to help know the difference between "normal" memory loss and a medical
problem.   Everyone I know has the same problems you mention, I am 59.   We
all laugh about it and call them "brain farts"(pardon my grossness).   You
know I put the dogfood in the freezer (and it doesn't go there)  put the
soap in the fridge, forget where I put everything, can't remember my best
friends name in the middle of a conversation...these are "normal" when you
are under stress, or when you age.  HOWEVER, if you lose your car keys and
find them and don't know what they are used for, or your son comes in and
you don't remember who he is, or you can't determine what to do with your
fork at dinner, these are signs that you need to see a physician.

Bonnie Richardson
Huntsville, AL