Re: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #774-glucowatch

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Jennifer Sutherland wrote:

> I think it is all the hormones and such in the pre and mid adolescent body.
> also this thing is huge! Certainly bigger than a sports watch, can you imaging
> a kid trying to wear a pump-sized thingy on his or her wrist?

They have not done pediatric trials. I suspect that is the only reason.
Once the thing is released to the public, it's like insulin heh... heh...
for the longest time, Humalog was not approved for use in pumps, but
almost everyone that pumps uses it. At the present time, only Humalog and
Velosulin are pump approved that I am aware of. Not that it makes a
difference. Once a medication or device is approved for ANY use, a doctor
can prescribe it for any other use he/she choses. That is the law.

> The other thread on allergies...I have a reaction to Silver, nickel and other
> metals--except gold-- and the Gluco-watch did cause irratation on some
> people.

The irritation is caused by the constant electric field holding open the
micropores in the epidermis. Some people are "tougher" than others and it
does not bother them. Metal or mineral allergies might be a problem, but
the reports of irritation were not related to this as far as I know.