[IP] Re: what people "know" about diabetes

When my daughter first went on the pump last year, we were at a
salon getting her hair cut. The topic of diabetes came up because
my daughter needed to do a bg check (felt low) and she took out
her meter and started testing. Since the pump was new to us and
we were so proud of it, we, of course, showed it to this stylist
(? whatever they are called) who said she was type 2. She asked
me if my daughter had really severe diabetes or something. (Your
favorite question, Roxanne! LOL!) I said no, and then I set her
straight. I told her we just wanted more flexibility in our lives
while maintaining tight control and that the pump allowed us to
do that better than MDI. I told her most pumpers were type 1's
but that there were many type 2's on pumps as well. She said she
was going to ask her dr about it. Haven't seen her since so I
don't know if she ever did.

I have to admit that, at first, my family thought we were going
on the pump because the diabetes was 'so out of control' ... had
to set them straight too (I think they 'get it' now.) :)

Roxanne said:
>My favorite thing that people think about being on a pump is that I 'must have diabetes really bad...'   I get so sick of that question...'
'You must have sugars that are really hard to control!'

little guy due 3/10/01