[IP] RE: basal insulin and ketones and Coke

------<more snip>-------------
>I felt good enough to go to a football game and would have gotten a diet
>drink if it had been available.  It wasn't, so I got a regular....   Less
>than 24 hours later I was in the hospital in critical condition and
>definitely DKA.
>Had I died, it would have been because of DKA (not the Coke) - The Coke
>sure got me there much quicker than the between 1 and 2 weeks of only
>having water....
>Jim S.

I was 15 years old and although I had been feeling terrible for some time, I
was feeling well enough to be semi-active during this particular day but as
night arrived I declined to feeling pretty lousy.  For a number of days I
had been eating next to nothing but this night all I could think about was
an ice cream soda.  I had already been diagnosed 6 months earlier and my
honeymoon period came to an end but my doctor had been away so we planned on
waiting for his return.  I was feeling worse by the minute so my aunt, who
was an RN, called a different doctor.  He said I was probably going into DKA
and I should get to the ER ASAP but at that point the ice cream soda,
relatively speaking, would be inconsequential and so I could have it.  My
aunt took me in her car but I slipped into DKA enroute and arrived
unconscious.  As it happened, I felt so bad, so rapidly, that I never
touched the ice cream soda.  Had I done so I probably would have blamed it
for my arriving at the ER in a coma.  Your Coke may have done it for you but
I managed to do it by myself :>)

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MM 507 - 1998