[IP] insulin-pumpers-digest V4#775

This is a comment to Lyndy's message of Jan. 9, V4#775.  I want very much
to be a user of the dtron pump. I received the htron in Jan, 2000. The
following March, the Disetronic company put out their "power of choice"
plan. It was an attractive deal for people choosing a pump. Take the
original htron, and when the new dtron comes out in a few months, you may
choose the new one and we (the company) will take back the
original.  During this time, obviously, the company is having new pump
patients attach themselves to their pumps, giving that company lifelong
customers. The htron is as good a pump as minimed but probably not as good
as the animas from what I understand from users of pumps. However, the
dtron is, at this point, maybe--for me-- most desirable.  The reason being:
it has drop-in insulin cartridges with a long shelf life. In other words,
if one were lucky enough to be eligible for the "power of choice", one
could attain a greater degree of freedom with the dtron because of the
drop-in cartridge feature. Now: why cannot I choose the dtron as well as
anyone else who has the htron and wishes to gain a level of ease living
with diabetes? The reason is, the company does not want to lose any amount
of money no matter how small. In their ads, the company labels this pump as
the world's most advanced. I read in a Diabetes Interview publication that
one out of every three new pump wearers in the US chooses a Disetronic and
that their overall market share is greater than 20 percent.  The president
and CEO of Disetronic, Patrik DeHaes, stated in that article that the htron
is for active people and kids, the dahedi pump for those who want it simple
and discreet, and the (new) dtron is the world's most advanced. Now, I am
neither very active nor a kid. I am a 64 year old person, with diabetes for
over 40 years. I always strive for good control and have always sought out
the best treatment programs. When I received my htron just 59 days before
the power of choice was declared, my doctor told me about a new pump coming
into the market; however, he did not know when. HE DID GIVE MY NAME TO THE
TERRITORY MANAGER so that when the new pump came to the market, I would be
able to change.  however, I was never granted this right to choose on March
1. Bringing up this issue first to my doctor and then to the territory
manage, Mr. McBeth, I was told by Mr. McBeth (to paraphrase) that if I was
not happy, then I really should go to another pump company. I told this to
the district manage who called me after he spoke to my doctor. He very
nicely explained to me that if they take back my pump and give me the
"world's most advanced pump", the company will lose money because they
cannot reuse the old pump. Now, with annual sales and earnings growth of
more than 15 percent over the past three years and return on equity of 12
percent (or more), the Disetronic company cannot accommodate the users of
pumps who narrowly missed their so generous an offer as of March 1. Yes,
perhaps I should take Mr. McBeth's advice and go to animas. I do know that,
in a short time, animas will also have a drop-in cartridge. It is probably
not a difficult thing to manufacture. It is just that animas is a rather
new company and has not put its know-how to that yet.  However, they will
give Disetronic a run for its money.  Perhaps that is exactly what might
humanize them.