Re: [IP] Insulin to carb ratio

I think it was just a simple misunderstanding, really, and no
harm was intended. They were telling her how to figure boluses
based on the C/I ratio (which she did ask for) but inadvertently
missed the first question that she asked of HOW to derive the C/I
ratio. I explained that part - ONlist - because I figured it
might benefit others who may be lurking, but also, because that
part *was* missed and I thought it was important to clarify.
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't remember anyone telling her to use
some other ratio, they were using the ratio *she* had given
(except for maybe 1 person who used their own ratios as an
example.) And you're right, everyone's is different  - but I
really don't think Susan would have taken their notes to mean
that she should try some other ratio.
Susan's son is (apparently) still on MDI so his C/I ratio was
derived from his TDD of insulin on MDI (thus, no basal and ave
bolus numbers to use...that will come later and all this will
likely change anyway once his insulin needs go down with pumping
- *if* they go down.) I hope Susan was not too confused after I
wrote my note. I tried to lay it out in simple terms. I didn't
want to say more (in terms of the other formulas, etc) just yet
because she is new, and she, like other newbies, may find it
overwhelming and confusing. Best to take it one step at a time. I
still urge her to get the 3rd ed of the PI book if she doesn't
already have it. That will help her a great deal! *Everything* I
learned about pumping came from this list and the PI book.

Sylvia said:
Hey IPers when a newbie, especially a D-mom, is asking questions
about carb/insulin ratios you need to remember to tell them how
you came to using the figures you are giving out.  AND if it is a
young child, as it is in this case, you don't arbitrarily start
using a figure just because it is the one you-an adult- are
using.  The C/I ratios are based on total daily insulin usages,
including basals and average boluses.  Everyone is basically
different and no one particular number is going to work for
everyone, especially children.  That is why when I responded to
this particular question I did not take up list time/space and
responded to her personally with all of the mathamatical
equations involved so that she can figure out what her son's
needs are!

Sorry for the soap box, but if I were a newbie mom I would be
terrible concerned and confused, after reading some of the

little guy due 3/10/01