[IP] Re: insulin to carb ratio

So do I! I have one in my purse and one in each car. There is
also a resident calculator in the kitchen. HOWEVER...I don't have
to use them to do all the bolus figuring anymore (unless I just
want to) because I made charts - sort of like a flowsheet system
(using the C/I, ISF, and BG/Carb ratios and the formulas: actual
bg-target bg/ISF and actual bg-target bg/BG carb ratio) that have
the bolus amounts figured out for grams of carbs for meals/snacks
(covering 1-120g - my daughter rarely eats over 120g at one
sitting), a high bg correction bolus chart (ie: add x amount to
meal/snack bolus if bg is over the target, goes from bg of
128-600 - this chart is also used for correcting high bgs apart
from meals), a low bg correction chart for meals/snacks (ie:
subtract x amount from meal/snack bolus if bg is under the
target, goes from bg of 20-112). Then there is a low bg
correction chart (apart from meals/snacks) that I described the
other day (treats bgs from 20-119, tells how many carbs are
needed to bring the bg to the target plus specific foods, etc in
specific measurements with their amounts of carbs, which will
raise the bg specific amounts), and a chart with favorite
foods/snacks in specific amounts with carb counts and bolus
amounts (which are adjusted according to whether the bg is above
or below target.) So now...all we have to do is some simple
addition or subtraction on the calculator which takes
considerably less time. The charts print out to about 6 pages and
we keep it in the kitchen (I have a copy for my daughter to take
to friend's houses for sleepovers, although I do still have her
call me at meals and bedtime when she sleeps over somewhere.)
Now, the description may seem very involved and complicated but
it really isn't. My 10yo says it is VERY easy to understand and
follow and she has been very good about bolusing for snacks ever
since (which we were having a problem with her "forgetting" quite
often, which is why I made the charts in the first place. I
suspect part of the problem was that she just gets tired of
having to check in with me, and/or my always asking what she ate,
etc, and/or having to wait for me to figure things. I think she
feels more in control now rather than being controlled. These
charts do not take away my involvement, they just give her more
freedom.) Her ratios have stayed consistent for about a year now
so we'll use these charts until things change.

Geez, this got sort of long-winded. (Sorry!) If anyone would like
to see the charts I can email them as an attachment.

RoseLea said:
By the way, I carry one of those teeny pocket calculators to
figure the amount when my brain is too tired to think anymore.

little guy due 3/10/01