[IP] Re: insulin to carb ratio

The question asked was:
"We are in the pre - pump training and need a math formula to
figure the insulin to carb ration.  The dietician has him
training with 1 unit of insulin per 15 grams of carbs. [Here's
the question:] What's the formula to figure this with?"

She wanted to know the formula for figuring the insulin to carb
ratio. THEN she wanted to know how much insulin he would need for
62g carbs based on that 1:15 ratio (the answer to which was

Make sense? :)

Btw, Susan, I highly recommend getting the book Pumping Insulin
(3rd edition), by John Walsh, if you don't already have it. It is
THE Bible for pumping and well worth the money! It will explain
in very clear terms how to do all this math.

Lyndy said:
I *think* that worn out mom was talking about the basal amount
(.1 u) and wondering if they should be taking that amount of
insulin into account when figuring the carb bolus . . .

little guy due 3/10/01