[IP] Insulin to carb ratio

I haven't seen any answers to your first question (unless I just
missed it) so here goes.
To figure the insulin to carb ratio, you divide 500 by the total
daily dose of insulin. I'm guessing here but your son must take
around 33u insulin per day (500 div 33=15).
Next, if he's taking 62g carbs you divide that by 15 and get
4.1u. You could still do 4 if you wanted to, but the pump allows
you to get as precise as 4.1.

And yes, it probably does have to do with all you described (lack
of sleep, etc.) :) Things will get better though!

Hope this helps!

Susan said:
We are in the pre - pump training and need a math formula to
figure the insulin to carb ration.  The dietician has him
training with 1 unit of insulin per 15 grams of carbs.  What's
the formula to figure this with?
If he has 62 grams of carbs, how much insulin would he need?
With the injections we would just do 4H, but with the Minimed
doing .1, we are sort of lost.  Sorry my math is weak right now!
Could it be a lack of sleep? stress? too many years since I used
percents?  who knows?  I just figured those of you who are doing
this on a daily basis would know the answers.

little guy due 3/10/01