Re: [IP] Insulin to carb ratio

At 03:19 PM 1/7/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>We are in the pre - pump training and need a math formula to figure the
>insulin to carb ration.  The dietician has him training with 1 unit of
>insulin per 15 grams of carbs.  What's the formula to figure this with?  If
>he has 62 grams of carbs, how much insulin would he need?  With the
>injections we would just do 4H, but with the Minimed doing .1, we are sort of
>lost.  Sorry my math is weak right now!  Could it be a lack of sleep? stress?
>too many years since I used percents?  who knows?  I just figured those of
>you who are doing this on a daily basis would know the answers.

For myself, I would just use 4 units also, see how it worked, and adjust as
necessary for next time.  If you want to do the math, first figure 1/15 =
0.067 (one unit of insulin divided by 15 units of carb = 0.067 units of
insulin per gram of carb).  Then 62 * 0.067 = 4.15 (62 grams of carb times
0.067 units of insulin per gram).  So the end result is 4.1 or 4.2 units of
insulin for 62 grams of carb.