[IP] Re: all that knowledge

email @ redacted writes:

> Certainly some of our CDMOM/DADs could use their knowledge to help just a
> handful of people. When I go to a nursing home, I want to know where one of
> you is - that's where I want to go. If you're out speaking at a school, I
> may

When I worked in a nursing home in the early 80's, we did the best we could
with diabetics with what we had at the time to deal with.
Hopefully they aren't still being run in the same way as far as care for
diabetics.  I think it would be important that the dr you have while you're
in the nursing home be familiar with your pump and write orders for
everything, including a normal diet and testing as much as you need to.  I
think it would also be good to have a personal advocate set up in case you
ever can't speak for yourself, who can make sure that your needs are being
met pumpwise and otherwise.  This can be a family member or if there is no
family someone else, a friend.   I knew someone with no family who couldn't
make decisions for herself anymore and a friend of hers was appointed to make
sure everything was done for her.  I think she was her guardian at that point.
Even if you can still speak to yourself and advocate to check up on things
for you might be a good idea.  Sometimes individuals weren't listened to in
the nursing home just because they were patients.  An advocate who could yell
and doublecheck and make sure things were done the way you want them to be.
Not necessarily a guardian at that point but a helpful friend or family
Just some ideas for help in the nursing home areas.
Oh also, when hunting for the nursing home you will pick, interview them
about their diabetic care standards, if they've ever had a pumper and if they
follow individual drs orders for diabetics or treat all diabetics the same.

type 1 diagnosed 9-81
new pumper!!
started 8-21-2000