Re: [IP] Re: All that knowledge

Well...being that I am a 'Long Term Care Dietitian,'  I can tell you the
reason why in the LTC facilities they are so strict with our residents.  It's
called 'cover your a**.'

Look at it this way...if that resident goes into DKA...we get sued.  However,
we face fines if we go not let the resident eat what they want...it's called

So much more is being done nowadays to further educate ALL caregivers in ALL
healthcare facilities.  You can not say that they LTC facilities are
ignorant.  When I went into the hospital last spring because of the flu and
being dehydrated...I was 'put on display' as everyone of the doctors and
nurses popped in.."I can I see your insulin pump"  ALL caregivers need need

Pumps are new...and by the time most of us get to LTC facilities, hopefully
we won't be the fascinations that we are now.  Pumps are becoming more and
more mainstream...I don't think that any pumper has too much to worry about.
And don'[t forget to keep your families involved, as they make the final call
on your treatment in a LTC facility.  Keep them educated on your desires if
you can make the decision by yourself.  If your family wants you to keep your
pump on in a LTC facility, then they can not refuse to accept you as a
resident and MUST learn the carb. counting, pump stuff, etc.

Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD
Cleveland, Ohio
DM for 18+ years, Pumping for 6+ years.