[IP] Re: pump selection

Janet wrote:
With the Minimed you could be disconnected for 10 minutes and miss your whole
basal dose for that hour. With the other two pumps, you'd only miss about 3/20
of the basal dose. Again, I don't know if this is likely to be much of a
problem for most people.>>

Well, that would depend on which 10 min. - if it's a few min. before the top
of the hour it would be missed - but when reconnecting you bolus 0.1. nothing

My first two pumps (9 yrs) delivered in whole units only no matter what the
basal rate. My second one had a supplemental rate that could be programmed for
however long I wanted and it seems like a dual wave that was called
Delay-Until-Hold, which I think was a poor choice of words.  So what I'm
saying is, I really don't think it would make any difference. Don't the little
ones who get a tiny basal on the D pump also use a dilutent?

Many kids on this list are disconnected for 2-5 hrs. at a time while active.
Also, many of us, if disconnected, check what the daily total is before, then
check upon reconnecting and prime the missed bolus inside us. No lacking

I like having choices - such as I LIKE the step-motor delivery of the MiniMed.
It takes 5 minutes for me to receive a 6u bolus and I WANT it delivered that
slowly. I like the reassuring soft click every 0.1u it delivers. I like not
having to learn military time. I like the looks of my choice. I like the
potential to set 48 diff. basal rates - 3 diff. profiles if it's the 508. I
like being able to set a 1/2-24-hr. temporary basal rate(s) and the ability to
cut it/them off at any moment. I like being able to go to my grocery store and
buy Everyready 357 silver oxide batteries at $1.49 each. I like the service I
get since '92. I like that I don't recall (Hillary Syndrome) hearing of a MM
pump ruined by a dunk in the toilet or bathtub.

Bottom line: To each his own. We don't all drive Chrysler MiniVans (ES) - but
I like my '96, too. Don't like the dark green color, but I'm satisfied. YMMV
on your pump or vehicle choice(s). (~_^)