[IP] Re: Protein Bars?

I would think as long as you don't have any kidney disease you
should be fine (excess protein can be hard on the kidneys.)
Another thing, if you are taking lots of protein (and it appears
that you are) you need to make sure you are getting adequate
calcium. Something I learned from having kidney stones (5 so far)
is that excess protein can leach calcium out of your bones, which
excretes through the urine (via the kidneys), causing kidney
stones (excess protein may also contribute to osteoporosis for
the same reasons.) Make sure you are also taking in adequate
calories from carbs and fats as well, otherwise the protein will
get used for energy rather than for the muscle bulking. You also
need to drink plenty of fluids when you take extra protein to
help the kidneys and also to avoid dehydration. Something else to
keep in mind is that some 60% of the protein in your diet will
convert to glucose within 4-6hrs of ingestion so you may see bgs
go up at that point (might have to experiment with dual
wave/square wave/extended boluses or treat some of the protein as
carbs and bolus for them if this is a problem - and it could be
if you are taking 170g of protein a day - that's a LOT. The
Pumping Insulin book may talk about this...I know the MiniMed
Pump Therapy Book does.) On the other hand, protein does help
keep the bg more stable as it keeps the bg from spiking or
dropping sharply. Any unused protein will get stored in the body
as fat.
Hope this helps!

Munzil said:
I have recently begun taking protein bars (once in the morning
and once after a workout, usually two a day). Does anyone know of
any negative side-effects of protein bars for diabetics?
(some snipped)
I want to add some muscle mass so I've been advised to eat as
many grams in protein each day as my weight ( I weigh about 170

little guy due 3/10/01