Re [IP] CDE's ..was (all that knowledge

>>Jan said:
I think that somebody on the board recommended that you
can't get
a CDE unless you have a master's in certain fields. So, they
be making it more difficult instead of easier.<<

Actually, most of the requirements are for BS, except for
certain health related professionals, then it is a master's
preparation.  Let's remember that the CDE certification is a
professional recognition. The certification board does have
the right to makes the rules, approved by the American
Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE). There is a
movement in the organization to help develop lay educators.
I do not know the status of that discussion.

There is now another certification exam for educators who
are master's prepared practitioners.

Also, the 4 hour certification exam is heavily weighted to
be ~ 90% Type 2. The exam is re-worked every few years to
include new medications, new therapies, intensive

Barbara A. Bradley, MS, RN, CDE