[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: [IP] school district issues

Not an expert here but I have an idea. What if you had a special
power of attorney for medical authorization drawn up for a
specific person from the school to act on your behalf, which
would effectively allow them to be trained with and use glucagon?
This would be a legal agreement between *you and that person* and
would relieve the school of any reliability (the reliability
would fall on the designated individual.) You do not need the
school's permission to draw up a binding legal agreement with
another person. (Of course, you should check this out thoroughly
before doing it just to be sure there aren't any loopholes,
potential for problems etc.) I've heard of other parents doing
something like this (over the glucagon issue) so I don't see why
it wouldn't work in your situation too. 

Here is one online at:

Lynn said:
Chris & Patti were training the school personnel on the child's
needs and when they got to the glucagon part, the district balked
stating liability. Chris (and I) feel that it is the school's
responsibility to have someone, not necessarily a nurse,  on
staff who can administer glucagon in the unlikely event the child
needs it and that to make the child switch schools is akin to
punishment.  I told her I'd ask the experts in the trenches. Do
any of you have any ideas or advice to aid our argument?

Take care, Kerri, alulitsuti (mother of many children) & the
little guy due 3/10/01 
"There is a special magic and holiness about the girl and woman.
They are the bringers of life to the people, and the teachers of
the little children." - Sweet Medicine, Cheyenne
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
send a DONATION http://www.Insulin-Pumpers.org/donate.shtml