Re: [IP] All that knowledge

Thanks Jan (from all of us parents - and spouses) for the
acknowledgment that we (at least sometimes) know things, and the
compliment!  :)
I agree 100%...the two situations need to be combined somehow. I
personally would love to pursue a CDE but have a similar problem
as Sylvia mentioned. I have 2yrs of college behind me but no
degree/credentials (except for M.O.M) so I know the road to
becoming a CDE will be a long one for me (though not impossible.
I will just take the time between now and then to learn all I can
and reinforce what I already know.) I wish there was such a thing
as an apprenticeship program or something similar, or at least
have some type of basic certification program (layman's
certification?) that allows you to teach the basics but leave the
big stuff for the CDE's. Maybe work under the
direction/supervision of a CDE (I guess that would sort of fall
under apprenticeship.) Who knows! I'm very interested in hearing
what others have to say about this.

Jan said:
Someone recently asked what the parents were going to do with all
their knowledge of DM after these children grew up and out of the
(some snipped)
Then there will be this large group of parents in 10 years or
less with all this knowledge and their usefulness is basically
over. Somehow these two situations need to be combined to help
each other.
(some snipped)
I can also visualize that since our knowledgeable caregivers on
this list do not have medical degrees, they would be banned from
any kind of trusting care. Does anyone have an idea for this
transition so *everyone* benefits??????

little guy due 3/10/01