[IP] Clarifying the state of the "Cure" art

    The following article was posted by Ellen (camelsRFun & webmaster of the
KidsRPumping website) at the Islet Foundation message board. If the hyperlink
doesn't work, use the URL I also listed. It prints out to a lengthy 8 pages,
but having quickly skimmed through it, it appears to be a thorough , yet
comprehensible analysis of the hurdles facing researchers & the future of
islet transplantation in general. The data referred to though is already a
year old since the # of patients in the Edmonton protocol now is at least 12
I believe & the longest any one patient has been insulin-free is about 22
months, not the 11 months stated in the article.  This is worthwhile
information for us all to understand so that we can respond credibly to those
who can't wait to tell us they've heard diabetes was cured!!
Regards, Renee (melissa's pump mom)
<A HREF="http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/322/7277/29">bmj.com Serup et al. 322 (7277): 29</A>