[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #761

ubject: Re: [IP] Cost of first meter...... and when (prior to 1985)

"I probably don't qualify, but I don't remember the actual date, so I'm
going to post anyway.  I got my first meter when I was preparing for my
orals in graduate school, probably around 1985 or 86."

I think I got that same meter in mid-1986.  And I had that sucker for most of my childhood. I
don't know how much it cost, but I'm guessing a lot since my parents were always so
overprotective of it.   I was diagnosed in late 1985 right before my 9th bday. I spent a week in
Vanderbilt Hospital in Nashville, TN.  There, the nurses didn't even use lancet devices.  They
just held a lancet and jabbed, then used the old "compare the pretty colors" method. I guess I
was a dumb kid, because I remember getting my first real watch about that time in order to do
blood tests at school, and having trouble reading it since it wasn't digital.
Shortly after I was released from the hospital and went back to school, I had several fun
moments.  One teacher didn't want me going to the nurse's office to test (there wasn't really a
nurse, just an office in case one wanted to test for lice once a year) and made me test in the
back of the classroom.  Needless to say, the whole class stared and whispered while I ticked off
the seconds and blotted. Then, another child was diagnosed with Diabetes and rumors started that
I was contagious.  haha
Dear Lord--two or three in the same school!
I remember getting in my first, and only, real fight on the playground because a girl called me
"a big stupid Diabete (singular)". The joy of childhood memories!
And sneaking the forbidden M&Ms at a friend's house, and my brothers hating me because my Mom
wouldn't let them keep as much junkfood at home and tried to put everyone on Diet Rite
softdrinks, and having my first brush with glucagon when I accidently took my "day time" dose of
R&NPH instead of my "night time" and was too afraid to tell my parents what I had done...
Oh, the happy  memories.

Sherry C