Re: [IP] Cost of first meter...... and when (prior to 1985)

The first meter that I tried to buy was an Ames Eyetone.  They cost $600,
and Ames would not sell me one.  They said it was for lab use only.

Joslin did have two people using them at home..as a pilot program when I was
there in the mid 70s.

I got my first, an Ames Dextrometer, in early 1980. It used the same
Dextrostic that the Eyetone used. It cost me $400. I got it at Emory
Hospital. I also started using a sliding scale at the same time. The trip to
Atlanta to get that meter along with the sliding scale program probably did
more for my DM than any other single event in my life. That was the last
meter that I really paid for.

 I next got an Ames Glucometer 2, it cost $25 and some Dextrostic box tops
(of which I had lots ).
Yeah, Ames had an upgrade program for the Dextrometer like one on the back
of a cereal box.

>From then on I started using the "Buy 100 strips and get the meter free"
deals in the back of "Forecast".

I have had seven meters all together.  I always have had 2 (after the first
one) that used the same strips, "Upstairs and Downstairs meters". (After all
the strips deal makes them free and you have to buy the strips to use the
first one anyway)  Aside from it being nice have one in the kitchen and the
bedroom, it also provides me with a backup.-James