[IP] Re: Drinking regular pop not deadly

I do something similar with my daughter.

I made a low blood sugar correction chart when we first started
pumping, which I've posted in the kitchen, that will not only
tell how many grams of carbs are needed to raise a particular bg
to a target of 120, but also exactly what (glucose tabs, choc
milk, soda - in specific amounts) contains so many grams and will
raise her bg so many points (ie: if her bg were 60-69 she would
need 14-16g of carbs to raise it to approx 120 and she could get
that from 4 glucose tablets, 1/2-3/4C soda, or 1/2C choc milk
[1/2C milk w/1TBS choc powder]. Each contains approx 14-16g and
would raise the bg approx 60pts.) This chart has come in handy in
the middle of the night MANY times! And not only that, it's great
to have on hand because my oldest 2 daughters can help my D
daughter if I'm not around.

I recently made another one (as well as a few other ones) that
tells how many units of insulin to subtract from a bolus if the
bg is low (similar to what you're talking about below.) IE: if
her bg were 56-62 and she drank an entire soda with 40g carbs,
she would need to subtract .8u from the bolus of 2u, to allow her
bg to rise to 120 but still cover the other carbs.) This is the
same stuff we used to calculate each and every time but now the
work is all done so we just have to look at the chart. This has
already been very helpful in the few days we've had it set up (as
have the other charts. My daughter really likes them!)

David said:
But how about adjusting for the carbs.  My CDE taught me this..if
treating a low between 50 and 80 to subtract 15 grams carbs from
the total carbs and bolus for that...below 50 and subtract 30
grams.  works fairly well for me.

little guy due 3/10/01