Re: [IP] Cost of first meter....And NOW

I believe I bought my first Ames Glucometer (the wet wash machine) in the
summer of 79 or 80.  It cost me about $350 and I had to mail order it from
St. Louis.  At the time I lived in a small town about three hours north of
St. Louis.  the strips were sold in glass bottles.  The lancet device was a
contraption that looked sorta like a hammer.  I think it was called an
Autolet, was dark blue and had yellow (shallow) and blue (deep)platforms.  I
think the Autolet cost me almost $40.

Weirdest thing, I remember sorta arguing with a pharmacist who did not want
to order the lancets for me.  Seems he was worried that I would get an
infection from poking holes in my fingers.  Thank God we have come so far in
the last 20 years.  This was about the same time I went to my doctor and told
him I wanted to try two shots of NPH and regular insulin rather than the one
AM shot I had been giving myself for at least 13 years.

The saddest thing, my sister still lives in that town and there is a
pediatrician that when he has a new diagnosis and the kid is hospitalized he
does not see the necessity of ordering a lancet device.  He will order the
lancets but not the device.  So go figure, here are scared parents and a kid
who haven't a clue and they are not told that these nifty spring type devices
exist.  I can just cry for them!!

Cee Dee